Saturday, September 20, 2014

Literary Nails: Velveteen by Daniel Marks


Hi guys! I am so happy to bring you another Book Inspired Nail Art post! It's been quite a while, huh? So, without further ado her is the next bookish manicure!!


I read this book not too long ago (and loved it!!), but before I even finished reading it I knew I wanted to do something inspired by Velveteen on my nails! However, I ordered some nail art tools and I was waiting for those to come in but they are taking forever! That's why I hadn't posted one of these sooner. But I said, "Screw it! I'll make something without nail art tools!" And thus this manicure was born!


Basically what I decided to do was paint a gravel-like, marble-y pattern on my nails, like it is pictured on the cover. To achieve this look, I just scrunched up a plastic Ziploc bag (or plastic wrap can be used, too!) dipped it into my polish, and then dabbed it on my nails. I started off my nails with a white polish as a base color and on top of that I just dabbed different shades of gray, a little black, and then I decided it needed glitter so I dabbed on a tiny bit of a shimmery sliver polish. I did this for all the nails except my accent nail on my ring finger. I painted my ring fingers black and then I added the pink swirls to sort of match the title on the cover. Then I decided I wanted more swirls, so I added some more on my thumbs!

And, as I mentioned before, I do not have steady hands at all, especially when it comes to using my left hand! So I didn't paint the swirls directly onto my nails. Instead, I decided to make homemade decals! It was very easy! Using another Ziploc bag, I painted a thick coat of clear polish onto the bag, and after that dried I drew the swirls using the end of a bobby pin (because no nail art tools! Gah! But you can pretty much use anything). I first drew the swirls with white polish and after that dried I went over them with the pink to really make the pink color pop against the black (and gray). I used some tweezers to pry off the decal and then trimmed it with scissors. I added some clear polish to my nail, pressed down my decal, and then topped it of with a top coat, and voila! Accent nails done!


The swirls did come out a little chunkier than I wanted because the end of the bobby pin was big... *sigh* But overall I think I did a fairly decent job :)



What I used:


Base Coat (not pictured... ooops!): Pure Ice - Buh Bye Breakups

Colors: SinfulColors - Thimbleberry, Snow Me White, Black on Black, Clear Coat (I used the black and white polishes to make  the different shades of gray because, well, I don't own any, lol.)

Shimmer polish: Maybelline Color Show - Pedal To The Metal

Top Coat: Sally Hansen - Big Matte Top Coat


BONUS!
Okay, so this one obviously is not a book inspired one, but I used the same pink as above, so why not! I really fell in love with this design and am hoping to recreate it soon!



So, what do you think? Did I nail it? Hehehe ;)

Let me know in the comments below if you have suggestions for any Book Inspired Nail Art! I am hoping to do more of these in the future (and more often too!) so suggestions are welcome! Daughter of Smoke and Bone has been suggested, and I think I'll try that one out as soon as my brushes arrive! :D

And hey, did you check out my review of Velveteen, yet?? 'Cause that book was awesome! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment